Julie's Journey

Saturday, April 4, 2009

sorry I haven't posted lately

Things have been a bit crazy around here the last few weeks. My mother in law was diagnosed with lung cancer. She has lived with us for 5 years, and about every 6 months or so she would have some sort of medical crisis. She would be admitted to the hospital for a week or so, but they would never find anything wrong. These never had anything to do with her issues now. I am pretty sure she has Munchausens. A couple of weeks ago she claimed she was having chest and back pains and her left arm was numb. I'll be honest.... I did not believe her, but took her to the ER anyway... in case this time she really was sick.

Her heart was fine, but they did a chest X-ray and found a mass in her right lung. What a kick in the ass... fake your way (in my opinion) into the hospital and get a completely unrelated terminal diagnosis.

They did a biopsy via the lung while she was in the hospital, but it came back indeterminate. a week after she came out I had to take her to a different hospital for a biopsy of the lymph nodes near the lungs. It came back positive for cancer. The doctor told me they did not know what kind of cancer. It could be either lymphoma or lung cancer (though he was pretty sure it was lung). We went to the oncologist on Monday and he told her it was small cell lung cancer (the more aggresive kind) He told her without treatment she had a couple of months, and with treatment, best case would be 1-2 years.

We had to go Tuesday to change her drivers liscence to Colorado (to try to get Medicaid) then we had to go to Social Services. It was craxy there, so we got the paperwork and Kayleigh and I went back Wednesday to turn on the paperwork. I had to stand in line for an hour.. and boy my dogs were barking!!! Thursday we had to go to the oncologsit office to see the chemo nurse, then Friday (yesterday) we needed to go to the hospital to have her chemo port inserted. Needless to say, it has been a busy time for me. Chemo starts Monday. kayleigh and I are heading to Michigan on Tuesday (I really can't cancel... my grandparents are 91 and in bad health....I am afraid this will be the last time I see them... I can't cancel) Ron is going to have to take her Tuesday and Wednesday.

I'll be honest... Judy has never been my favorite person, and her living in my home the last five years has not been easy, but I feel so bad for her. No one should have to go through this. She is handling things a lot better than I would, and I have told her so. She has been sleeping a lot (depression, I'm sure) but other than that she appears to have it pretty well together. I would still be sitting in a corner somewhere sobbing. I give her every credit. We are going to do everything we can do to fight this terrible disease. It is not curable... but I will do all I can to make her time left as long and comfortable as possible.

So.... my weight has been fluctuating a bit lately. I am somewhat bummed that I will not make my 75 pound goal before we leave for Michigan on Tuesday, but still, I know 71 pounds is nothing to sneeze at ;))

I will try to post Monday after we get back from chemo.



Blogger Diz said...

71 Lbs is freaking FANTASTIC!!! I'm so proud of you. And dealing with cancer and fighting the food urges to comfort you is not easy. Keep up the good fight and my prayers go out to your MIL and especially to you. You do not have an easy road taking care of someone else...don't forget about YOU...and don't forget that your Bandsisters are here for you!

April 9, 2009 at 11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home